Sunday 1 November 2009

Advice

I asked my friend, Tony Atkinson, for some advice for this stage of training as he's run a marathon before and is incidentially doing one on the same day as me in Bangkok. This is what he had to say:

Hi Derek

hope the training has been going well.

I have been doing about 45 km a week up to now. which include a long run (20km) and then 2 runs of 10 km and a fast 5km.

three weeks before i will train as normal.
with two weeks to go I will reduce the distance total to 30 km (long run becomes a 10 km.
In the last week before I may run once or twice + race. This will be a couple of easy runs 5-7 km each - easy just to keep moving.

Last year i did not run in the two weeks before. This worked ok, but my legs had too much time to rest, so you start feeling some aches and pains which are not normally there because you run through them. that is why this year change a little bit.

There is no point worrying about how far you have done. there is nothing you can do now that is going to change that. just eat well try to get some sleep the night before and drink enough fluids before and during the race.

The bangkok marathon is also on the motorway - for 30km and also across the same number of bridges as you!

No comments:

Post a Comment